Sunday, October 29, 2006

Got My First Official Rejection Slip



Yiperdoodle. In five days, my mauscript for the short story "Why Did the Dragon Cross the Road?" came back rejected from Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine. I'm glad my first one was from a big mag. The typewritten note said, "It just didn't capture my interest, I'm afraid." My folks think I should frame it. There used to be a saying, "If you fall off a horse three times, THEN you're a rider!" I guess falling from three mags makes me a writer. My Dad wondered why it didn't hold the Assistant Editor's interest. "Didn't you kill anyone?" he asked.

"No, but the narrator's leg gets ripped off." I answered.

Dad, who didn't miss a beat, said, "That's it, then. Kill off the narrator."

"But it's first person, Dad.You know she's not gonna die, because she's narrating."

Hmmm. Dad's got a point, though....

3 comments:

MRS said...

*SPOILER ALERT*

Have you seen American Beauty?

RenaSherwood said...

Nope. Was that a movie? I enjoyed The Sixth Sense, which I've just seen (thanks for the vid). I'm happy no one ever told me the ending for six years!

ROSEBUD!

Majic said...

Well, if your story is anything like your blog, I bet it was great. Keep plugging away, if that's what you want to do, and eventually it will happen for you.
PS. Yes American Beauty is a movie, and one of my all time favourites. You must see it. Watch it carefully - each frame is a work of art (IMHO)
PPS I never liked that saying about the riding - all I got was concussion and a dent in my head...