Wednesday, September 05, 2007

God & The Lottery


Last week a Wiccan won The Lottery (and not the Shirley Jackson kind, mind you). Elwood "Bunky" Bartlett won over $30 million after some intense spiritual negotiations:

Bartlett, an accountant from Dundalk, Maryland, said he made a bargain with the multiple gods associated with his Wiccan beliefs: "You let me win the lottery and I'll teach." Both tickets he purchased had numbers chosen randomly from the computer.


I'm a Witch as well and have yet to win the lottery (although once I think I won a copy of short stories with "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson in it). When you read Wiccan, think "Witch". As far as I'm concerned, "Wiccan" is the wussy name. The thinking behind calling oneself Wiccan rather than Witch is that the name Witch has a whole lotta archetype baggage associated with it. And that's exactly the reason why I call myself a Witch...or at least, a Pagan.

ANYWAY, the media seems quite interested in Bartlett's religion. I hesitate to think that Bartlett is the first Wiccan/Pagan to ever win money, but apparantly he's the first for a major multi-million pot. I hope this does not lead people to look into Wiccan/Pagan spirituality just for the dosh. They will be sadly disappointed, let me tell you.

Oh, you get what you ask for if you really really want it, don't get me wrong. On the day I devoted myself to The Path, I asked for wisdom. Silly me. I had no idea what the consquences of asking for wisdom would be. I thought I would learn how to organize coupons better. No. I wound up falling in love with a homeless alchoholic in England, ran away from home to follow him and lived in poverty for over five years. I had to come back to America after my litte home in the woods was burnt down. But I am a hell of a lot wiser.

Having said that, I suppose I could do a spell to win a lottery. But what would be the point? Would I be truly happy? Well, I'd be a lot more comfortable, but I wouldn't be any happier.

Hopefully, Elwood "Bunky" Bartlett will not have to go through what I had to go through to get what he wanted. Free advice, though, Brother Elwood -- most spirits and elemental forces and the human student body do not obey anyone named "Bunky". "My Goddess! We're in for it now! It's Professor Wizard Bunky!" Heck, even Tim is a scarier name.

And speaking of true magic, one little wish of mine has come true. Peter Gabriel has finally gone and found himself a distributer for his new album, I/O...but whenever that comes out, God only knows.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this accidentally, sorry. I am not a go to church every sunday person, but I do believe in the one GOD and his son that he sent to die on the cross for our sins. Yes even yours. You say you believe in all these GODS, which is rebellion and the thing that GOD lists first in his commandments, but I think that you think-feel-or know but still deny, that there is only one GOD. Why would you worship all these gods. If a gog is a god then wouldnt that god have unlimited power. Why would there be a population of these gods. Since one god doesnt control everything and isnt the one creator of everything than it leaves the possibility that anyone could become a god. It makes no sense for there to be a god for the sun, then another for love, or another for air. I dont know if that is what your gods do, I was just using those as examples. It sounds as though you worship these gods because its easier to do everything they say because you agree with it. The ONE TRUE GOD gives commands and lays down law about what is sin and what isnt. I still sin but I dont pretend that the sin I do isnt sin, If GOD says it is then it is, even if it feels good to me. Also GOD tells you that he loves you always, he hates your sin, but loves you. Deep down you all know this. You dont have to wait for GOD, HE is waiting for you. All you have to do is turn to HIM, say sorry and ask for forgiveness. Ask JESUS to wash away your sins for HIS blood has freed you and everyone else of there punishment from sin. You dont want to take a chance that you are wrong, because you are, and you will go to hell. Not because GOD hates you, but because HE loved you even though you sinned and gave you a way out and you still deny HIM. What god other than GOD(YAHWEE) wouldnt force you to do everything they want no matter your feeling. The proof that GOD is GOD is in the fact that HE says that HE gave us free will. When you get ready to eat dinner you freely choose what you want(unless the item is out of your price range). You can still choose what you want, you might not get it or you might change your mind, but you still choose-even if you dont get the thing you chose-you still chose it. GOD wanted you to have that freedom of freewill because HE didnt want you to worship HIM because you felt forced. HE wanted you to come to HIM on your own, with faith, and in believing in HIM. Even if you dont obey HIS word down to the letter HE still loves you enough to except it with only one eception, believe in HIM and believe that JESUS died for your sins, was resurrected 3 days later, and will return. When HE does return, every knee will bow because they will see HE is lord, but it will be too late because you didnt believe through faith. Read the bible and you will understand that no other book of faith has has truth the way the tora and the bible have had. All the things that the bible spoke of have in past tense has happened, and all the things spoken about in future tense will hgappened and even some of those things have. Read the bible and you will see the truth and your faith will build. If you think it is a joke, then what are you afraid of, read it, and then read it again. Then think about all the things that the GOD of abraham, isaac, and jacob said was sin, and all the stuff that you did that would qualify as this GOD's sin-and then ask JESUS to come into your life and to forgive you and ask YAHWEE to bestow HIS will upon you and then you will know if it is a joke. Just dont harden your heart to the lord and HIS word, because HE is talking to you, but you are not listening, instead you here the devils word. The devil isnt a god, he is just a angel who had evrything, got jealous, and through it all away ( kind of like brittany spears). Money, sex, cars, boats, jewerly, and all the stuff not mentioned wont go with you when you die. You need to think about where you will be. Remember, hell is not a place where you get girls or guys to bone, beer to drink, cars to drive, and where you party and have sex all day. Hell is where you are tortured. Even pain loving people who get into the whole domination sex and the people who peirce all over, or make there ears look like donuts wont like hell. And all the pain they put themselves through on earth wont prepare them for it not even a little bit. GOD bless you and all your readers, I hope you will see, and remember not to hat the person, just hate the sin as GOD does. And know that being a sinner and being wicked is different than evil. JESUS will wash you of your sins.

RenaSherwood said...

Perhaps someone needs a part time job?

Anonymous said...

why is it that everytime someone even mentions wiccan witch or anything along those lines theres always a over opinionative christian who HAS to go all god will see you in hell and crap?

RenaSherwood said...

Just spreading the love, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I thought christians were suppose to be loving and understanding. Was I suppose to learn in Sunday school to hate people and be all high and mighty. I was never taught to hate people although I was taught to be high and mighty and act as if people of other religions were going to Hell. It doesn't matter who you are or what religion you are, if you're a good decent person that's all that matters. I was taught to love people no matter what... religion by no means should divide people but bring people together. It should be a staple for community and love rather than blind cruel and selfish hatred!

Anonymous said...

I hate to be one of those people that deviates from the question and such but I felt I had to. I am commenting on the long Christian response and the one below it on high and mighty Christians. Well, I'm a Christian and even though some are a bad example of Christ, I wanted to tell you that a true believer does not hate another person, but hates the actual sin being committed. God loves you and every person out there. No person is perfect Christian or not and we all fall short of his glory. The reason there is always a "God" response in Wiccan blogs are because our hearts are convicted to help show others the truth when they have been led away from him. Not becauseWE are better than you, but because we want as many to go to heaven as possible. You don't have to accept God because he gave us the choice, and it is always up to you. I wish Christians saw that by being judgemental they push so many farther from God! May God bless each and every one of you!