Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jesus Camp: Scariest. Film. Ever.


I'm not exaggerating. My Mom and I watched this 2006 dcumentary last night on the Biography Channel and we had to turn more lights on. We were riveted to our seats in abject terror. I had to take a mixture of Benadryl, melatonin and chocolate chip cookies in order to settle my heart down enough to get to sleep.

Horror films are scary when you are a kid, but they become really funny when you get older, because you know it's just a movie. In order to get really scared, you need to skip the slasher flicks and go right to the hard-core independent documentaries. You can't wrap yourself in that fuzzy blanket of fiction then.

So, What's It About?

Think summer camp for really young kids -- which teaches them Evangelical right wing Republican Christianity. The whole gory shmear of speaking in tongues, anti-abortion rallies for little kids, Creationism, global warming denial, gay-bashing, and an unabashed worship of then-President George W. Bush.

Churches with high-tech sound mixing boards and theatrical lighting. Think how many homeless people that crap would feed. I wonder if they would let a homeless person in their precious house of God when it's pouring rain outside and a gang of youths has set fire to your campground.

But no -- they're to busy making pagents about holy wars and shaking hands with Pastor Ted Haggard -- before kicking him out the door.

Jesus Camp: Watch it with the lights on.

Hopefully, there will never be a sequel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for the page,and the info.
Danny.

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry that you see all evangelical believers like this. I myself am a believer and I am by no means a gay basher or worshiper of George Bush.
Also my church has a program called feed the hungry and we by all means welcome any homeless person into our "precious house of God" as you put it.
Not all evangelicals are as "extreme" as the ones you described, I hope that you can change your perspective a little and see that all humans have faults and you can't judge all belivers by how a few act.
God Bless.

RenaSherwood said...

Did I write that all Evangelicals act this way? No. If I meant that all Evangelicals acted like this and not just the Evangelicals depicted in this film, then I would have written that.

But then again, all Christians historically read anything they want to in scrolls, parchments or books -- why should blogs be any different? Now -- I wrote "all Christians" there.

See the difference?