Friday, December 04, 2009

Peter Gabriel & Atheism


I've taken the leap of faith to become an atheist, although my Mom insists I'm just an agnostic. I'm still a Witch, (Edit -- no, not really) I just don't expect to get any answers when I pray. I pray out of habit. I'm actually just talking to myself, but people think I'm crazy if I admidt that, so I say I'm praying. I've said this so often that now I believe it.

So, what was the big breakthrough that made me finally realize there was no God? Or, at least, a God I would want to have anything to do with?

Because Peter Gabriel won't shag me.

Now, granted the "Peter Gabriel won't shag me" theory is not going to make a lot of noise at the Vatican. I actually do have other, more serious reasons (such as being a survior of domestic abuse) but who wants to read about that? I mean, they're all such depressing reasons. People want to read about sex.

Follow me on the logic of this one.

Now, if there was a benevolent God, I never would have fallen in love with Peter Gabriel. I'm not his type, I've never made any positive impression on him when I did meet him, he's never sent me a birthday card -- in other words, it will never happen between me and PG. So, why did I fall in love with him in the first place?

Who knows? Why does anybody fall in love? I was in the wrong place at the wrong time when my hormones were raging and Peter happened to be the one I laid eyes on at that moment and that's that. The die was cast. I was doomed and I knew it.

Oh, but that didn't stop me. I had boyfriends, but I still was thinking about Peter the whole time. I even ran away with a homeless alcoholic because he had blue eyes and kinda looked like Peter. Made the fantasizing a heck of a lot easier, let me tell you. But that didn't work out and (in the meantime) Peter gets married to a woman younger than I am. I did not even get an invitation to the wedding.

Now, I've gotten to the point in my life where I realize that only Peter will do as a sexual partner and if I do hook up with someone else, it will all go horribly pear-shaped. So, I'm celibate and am going on my 5th anniversary of celibacy later this month.

Unless Peter decides otherwise.

Which ain't gonnna happen.

Logically, I know I should not love Peter any more. But I've tried that and it doesn't work. I still love him, even though he's an impossible aspiration.

A benevolent God would not allow this. Therefore, there is no God.

Ta-da.

Anyway, for those PG fans who checked in on this post just because of the title, the latest release date of PG's next album, Scratch My Back is now 15 Feb, 2010. PG is already doing promotional material for it and is going to do a concert around its release date with full orchestra. It is unknown whether this will be a small tour, a one-off concert or a YouTube Orchestra-type thing. Since one of the songs on the new album will be a cover version of Neil Young's "Philadelphia", rumors are swirling that he may come to Philly, but so far it's only a rumor.

No comments: