Sunday, June 08, 2014

So, How's the Book Going, Part 6

And I'm happy to report that after 5 or 6 months, I've been able to dive back into my Sherlock Holmes manuscript.  It's been so long since I've looked at it that I'd forgotten half of it.  This time I reworked a chapter, fixed some plot problems and added two new chapters.  I've also made a new file to reformat the manuscript so it can have page numbers, double-spacing, indentation and all of that happy crappy.

I have managed to give Peter Gabriel a cameo in the book, although I'm not sure about the legality of that.  I think I'll just throw that out on the blogosphere and see if anyone from PG's camp screams obscenities at me. If they don't, I'm going to assume that I'm good to go.

Mom asked me an interesting question, "Is it any good?"

Now, how the heck am I supposed to answer that?  The worst person to ask about the quality of a piece of art is the artist herself/himself.  It's not like the artist can be coldly objective.

I finally got to see Peter Gabriel inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  I'm surprised he bothered to show up (he didn't when his old group Genesis was inducted.)  He even toted along Wife Number Two and Kids Three and Four for the ride.  My Mom was impressed with PG's speech.  She has never been impressed with his most laudable music, fantastic singing abilities or even with the dazzling videos of the 1980s and 1990s.  But she liked this speech.

Mom told me, "Pretend Peter is talking to you about your book." 

Um, cute idea, Mom, but no.  His speech was clearly not intended for anyone trying to hammer out a first book.   I've got to get back to work on the manuscript.  Anyway, here's his speech, filmed by someone in the audience.  The actual speech was much longer than what was shown on HBO, which heavily edited PG's segment.

No comments: